Graham Correctional Center
Graham Correctional Center (Graham) is located in Hillsboro, Illinois, about a four-hour drive south of Chicago, and an hour south of Springfield. Graham is a medium-security male facility. Graham also operates one of the three male Reception and Classification centers (R&Cs) within the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC).
Read JHA's latest report here.
Population: 1,632 - Rated Capacity: 1,074 R&C Population: 383 - Rated Capacity: 100
Total Operational Capacity: 2,110
Average Age: 36
Population aged 50 or older: 13%
Cost per Inmate (FY 2012): $21,037
Convicted in Cook County: 24%
Convicting Offense: 5% Murder, 20% Class X, 22% Class 1, 27% Class 2, 13% Class 3, and 12% Class 4 felonies.
Population by Race: 52% White, 43% Black, 5% Hispanic
Source: IDOC, May 2013
- Systemic crowding and staffing issues create problems at the facility.
- JHA found that conditions for inmates spending lengthy terms in reception at Graham needed improvement.
- Inmates temporarily housed in the gym at the time of JHA’s visit had many complaints.
- Graham’s sex offender treatment program remains peer-run due to lack of mental health staff.
- Once an educational powerhouse, Graham operated at the time of the visit with just two teachers.
- IDOC reportedly has taken steps to improve some noted issues in the time since the visit, which JHA will continue to monitor.